As you may have noticed, it is becoming increasingly popular to epoxy cement floors, especially in residential applications. This trend is driven in part because homeowners have decided to reclaim their garages. They no longer treat it as a throwaway space to store seasonal items and all the things they don’t really need, but can’t seem to part with. Applying epoxy to a cement floor can make the space more versatile and visually appealing while also offering a long-list of other practical benefits that make it an attractive alternative to traditional cement floors.
Here are just a few of the practical benefits that make epoxy floor coating a great investment:
- It is incredibly durable. Yes, on its own, concrete is also very durable, but it is also easy to crack and chip. All it takes is a dropped tool or even a bike and your pristine floor will have a new imperfection. In addition, concrete is susceptible to stains caused by oil, chemicals and other substances. If you are hard on your garage floor, it won’t take long before it begins to show signs of wear and tear.
Applying an epoxy coating to your cement floor will provide a more durable surface that is resistant to the typical assaults on your floor that can be a part of everyday life. The epoxy coating will ensure that your floor not only looks stylish, but will continue to look life new.
For car enthusiast and DIY mechanics who like to work in the garage, an epoxy coating is the perfect choice. If you spill gas, brake fluids, or other harsh chemicals that help keep vehicles running, all you have to do is wipe them up and get back to work.
- Epoxy coating can restore luster and hide imperfections. If you have already done a number on your floor, applying epoxy coating is a great way to cover up any blemishes and provide a uniform look. In fact, the epoxy will actually fill in cracks and ultimately provide a stronger surface.
- Epoxy floor coating can reduce dust and provide a cleaner environment. The garage tends to be a dirty and dusty place, but a lot of that dust isn’t necessarily being brought in from the outside on your cars, bikes and other outdoor equipment. If you have ever swept your concrete floor, you know it can feel like a never-ending job because the concrete actually creates its own fine dust that can settle throughout the garage. For those with breathing and allergy problems, this dust can be an irritant.
Epoxy coating acts as a sealer, which means that it also eliminates dust and makes it easy to sweep and clean your garage. You don’t have to worry about creating more dust as you try to clean up.
- It offers a moisture resistant surface. For those who live in snowy and/or climate, this is a major plus. During the winter months, snow and salt brine can accumulate on the floor, leaving water and salt rings that build up over time. With an epoxy coating, any excess moisture can easily be mopped up. If there is any slat residue, a mixture of mild soap and water will easily fix the problem.
In addition, less moisture also means that your concrete floor won’t experience as much expanding and contracting as weather conditions change. This will help prevent cracks and protect the integrity of your floor.
- You can add texture for safety. Epoxy coating creates a smooth surface that looks great, but can become slippery when wet. Fortunately, you can increase safety by adding slip-resistant aggregate to the epoxy coating. This will provide a certain level of grip and friction that will help prevent falls.
- Reflective properties enhance light. The garage tends to be a dark and cavernous room. Even strategically places overhead lights can leave dark corners. Epoxy coatings are available in high gloss options that will brighten the room by reflecting and enhancing both natural and artificial light. This will make the garage a more welcoming space where you can easily work on projects without straining your eyes.
- Epoxy coating is environmentally friendly. Instead of replacing damage cement floors which requires demolishing and disposing of materials and using additional materials, epoxy coating can save your existing floor. This allows you to reuse good materials and avoid creating unneeded waste.
Epoxy coatings are a great way to dress up your garage and some luxury to a room that is often overlooked. The good news is that this treatment also provides many practical benefits that go well beyond aesthetic appeal. Not only will your garage cement floor look great, it will also provide a brighter, more water and damage resistant surface that will continue to look like new for many years to come.